The National Liberty Museum seeks an experienced marketing and business development professional to lead the planning and execution of an integrated marketing and communication strategy to drive revenue and mission-based goals across the Museum. Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Director of Marketing will lead marketing and public relations initiatives and ensure brand cohesion across all museum communication touchpoints. The Director of Marketing will lead the institution in data-driven decision making, prioritizing digital engagement to better understand the Museum’s audiences and maximize growth opportunities. The Director of Marketing will be an internal champion for change, working to ensure continuity of voice and brand identity during this exciting period in the Museum’s history.
The Director of Marketing will oversee advertising, website and social media, communications, and PR. The Director of Marketing will collaborate with internal stakeholders across all departments to meet strategic business development goals and will forge and maintain positive relationships with community and artistic partners, vendors, and others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Hold creative leadership of the Museum’s brand identity and voice, ensuring cohesion across all touchpoints
• Create and execute integrated marketing & communication plan to drive visitation and program registration, support creative partnerships and elevate brand identity in support of mission-based and business goals
• Develop audience segmentation, competitive analysis/market intelligence, pricing, promotions, and partnerships
• Implement analytics to measure impact and ROI across paid, owned and earned media channels
• Help curate and manage the voice of the museum’s brand via social media, advertising copy, and general museum materials
• Oversee the management of the website and printed materials for the museum
• Measure and report on the performance of marketing campaigns, adapting and changing them as things continue to grow and change
• Draft marketing material, from website banners to hard copy brochures and case studies
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Exceptional oral and written communications skills; strong creative problem-solving and analytic capabilities
• Naturally collaborative with skills in organizing work and supervising a team for maximum effectiveness, including the ability to make timely decisions
• An effective, tactful, and professional communicator with internal and external teams, the media, and the public; a history of strong strategic and creative partnerships
• Can work well under pressure and adapt to changing situations and priorities; exercises good judgment and stays focused on overarching goals
• Cultural curiosity essential, with an ability to stay balanced and focused on institutional mission
Experience & Qualifications
• Proven success in marketing and communications strategy, target segmentation, digital, communications, customer acquisition, and brand management in the cultural sector
• Expertise in the development, implementation, and evaluation of medium- and long-range marketing plans and marketing research with proven results in increasing attendance and revenue
• Experience leading marketing and communications efforts during a period of significant organizational transition, facility expansion, or capital campaign; comfortable with change and flexible in implementation of priorities
• Experience with developing and maintaining financial projections and budgets; strong financial and organizational management skills
• A track record of delivering and measuring impact of marketing and communications efforts; someone who understands and utilizes data for improving decisions across the organization
• Experience managing the production of marketing/promotional materials and working closely with graphic designers and/or an outside agency
• Experience overseeing and evaluating digital marketing, online and mobile advertising, and social media initiatives
• Proficiency in marketing software such as HubSpot, MailChimp, Tweet Deck, etc.
• Experience with Altru is a plus
• Clear knowledge of museum operations, the arts industry or arts marketing is preferred, with an appreciation for and knowledge of US and Philadelphia history and culture, its civic and cultural landscape
• Salary is negotiable with experience within a range of 75K – 90K
Located in Old City Philadelphia, the National Liberty Museum illuminates the strength and fragility of liberty through dynamic exhibitions, powerful programs and provocative events that inspire and empower us all to put liberty into action.
After 20 years, we are reimagining our museum – and liberty – for the 21st century. With investments in interpretive planning, audience engagement and design, we’re building a museum that is capable of responding to the most pressing issues of today and stands for our collective future.
The National Liberty Museum is committed to recruiting, supporting, and investing in a diverse team of talented, creative, and passionate staff members who have a shared vision of our mission. Therefore, we encourage qualified candidates that represent and embody the diversity found within our community to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Please include the title of the position and your last name in the subject line of the email.