Join Our Team
After 20 years, we are reimagining our museum – and liberty – for the 21st century. With investments in interpretive planning, audience engagement and design, we’re building a museum that can respond to the most pressing issues of today and stands for our collective future.
We are proud of the work culture we have fostered at the museum and work each day to create an atmosphere in which everyone can contribute their ideas, energy, and enthusiasm for the important services we provide to the public. We emphasize working together as a team that is cooperative and supportive of each other, open communication is our highest priority. Our leadership team is committed to creating an atmosphere of trust and open communication by always listening to and answering any and all staff questions or concerns. We believe in giving each staff member opportunities to grow and will always promote from within and where possible.
At the National Liberty Museum, you will find that your contributions matter from your very first day. They matter to your team, our leadership, our donors, and they matter to those who walk through our museum doors every day.
Our full-time employees have access to a benefits package which includes: medical, dental and vision benefits starting 30 days after employment, and a 401K with a Museum match. All employees are able to enjoy: opportunities for professional development, free admission to NLM with discounted or family tickets to events, free admission to other museums, a discount in our museum store and more! If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart, and innovative people, please take a look at our current opportunities and apply.
Manager of Special Events
The National Liberty Museum is seeking an experienced special events candidate to plan, manage, and execute all special events at the NLM, including its annual flagship fundraising gala and glass auction, exhibition preview receptions, awards ceremonies and other events as assigned.
The Manager will report to the Chief Advancement Officer and the ideal candidate will be a high-energy self-starter with extraordinary organizational skills and great attention to detail. The candidate must be passionate about the NLM’s mission and an outstanding team player who works effectively with various constituencies both internally and externally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In alignment with overall Development goals, manage NLM events program, ranging from small private receptions to major fundraising events, with a focus on the flagship annual Gala and Glass Auction.
- Coordinate invitation lists, including list generating, RSVPs, and ordering event research.
- Create event sponsorship proposals and materials and oversee sponsorship mailings.
- Oversee design, creation and mailing of all print and email invitations and other printed materials.
- Oversee all operations and detailed logistics of events including but not limited to catering, environment (linens/florals), photographer needs, equipment, technology needs, etc.
- Ensure all events receive maximum exposure to target audience, meet specified fundraising objectives.
- Work across departments (Programs, Exhibitions, Education, and others) to ensure effective communication about event needs.
- Steward funder relationships, acting as main point of contact for event sponsors and donors.
- Serve as primary liaison with event leadership and volunteers (i.e. Gala Committees.)
- Coordinate and manage internal NLM events and Sponsorship events as needed.
- Manage event budgeting and coordinate closely with all providers and vendors, internal departments (notably the facilities department and onsite caterer), and secure event underwriters, in-kind contributions, and/or hosts whenever possible.
- Other duties as assigned
Successful Candidates will have:
- Four or more years of successful experience in planning and executing special events, preferably at a museum or other cultural institution.
- Demonstrated experience with gala event planning and fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience with designing and writing materials in support of fundraising.
- Outstanding planning skills, including acute ability to anticipate problems, plan effectively to prevent them and outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Excellent writing, speaking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and creative skills
- Strong ability to work in cross-functional, cross-department teams
- Strong written and spoken communication skills; the ability to communicate persuasively
- Knowledge of donor CRMs, Altru database a plus
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends and to travel as needed.
- Can work well under pressure and adapt to changing situations and priorities; exercises good judgment and stays focused on overarching goals
- Focus on inclusivity – possesses a strong commitment to diversity, displays cultural sensitivity, competency, and professionalism in the workplace
- Ability to represent NLM well in a variety of settings
- Will involve some evening/weekend/holiday work
- Hybrid office work with an expectation of at least 3 days in office, as public health orders allow
The National Liberty Museum ensures its employees, applicants, and affiliated persons are protected from discrimination and unfair treatment in the workplace regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, gender stereotyping, pregnancy, and sexual orientation), age, disability, genetic information, marital status, parental status, or political affiliation and are free from reprisal against protected activities.
The National Liberty Museum is committed to recruiting, supporting, and investing in a diverse team of talented, creative, and passionate staff members who have a shared vision of our mission. Therefore, we encourage qualified candidates that represent and embody the diversity found within our community to apply. Interested candidates should submit their resume and a cover letter to email@example.com for consideration. Please include the title of the position and your last name in the subject line of the email.
$55,000/yr – $75,000/yr
- Medical insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance